Tiramisu holds a special place during the Holiday season for the Consiglio family. It is a tradition that began decades ago where we would always finish our Christmas dinner with a healthy serving of light fluffy Tiramisu.
A perfect dessert of espresso and Amaretto dipped Savoiardi biscuits layered between a sweetened Mascarpone Cream topped with a light garnish of cocoa powder. Originating in Veneto, Italy Tiramisu acts as a "pick me up", we'll thank the strong brewed espresso for that! Any espresso maker will do the trick for this recipe, ranging from a stove top - to a fully automatic espresso maker.
This is definitely an Italian crowd-pleaser that will take all your guests palates by storm. Tiramisu has a lightness to it thanks to the delicate soaked Savoiardi biscuits but at the same time it 'packs a punch' from the spiked espresso. All in all, your guests will be happy and you'll be even happier as it doesn't take a superchef to make it.
500 grams Mascarpone Cheese
5 egg yolks plus 1 whole egg (pasteurized)
½ cup- plus ¼ cup sugar
500 mL 35% whipping cream
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 cups freshly brewed strong espresso
2 oz Amaretto liqueur
400 grams Savoiardi biscuits (lady fingers -1 pack)
2 tablespoons cocoa powder to garnish
1. Brew 2 cups of strong espresso, add 2 oz Amaretto, place in shallow bowl and set aside.
2. Place cream and ½ cup sugar into bowl of an electric mixer with the whisk attachment. Whip on high speed for 2 minutes or until cream is thick and fluffy (stiff peaks). Transfer to a bowl and place in fridge until needed.
3. Next, in the bowl of an electric mixer place eggs and ¼ cup sugar. Beat on high speed for 4 minutes until eggs and sugar are pale yellow and doubled in size.
4. Add the Mascarpone Cheese and vanilla extract to the egg mixture. Whisk together on medium speed until fully incorporated and texture is smooth.
5. Next, using a spatula add half the whipped cream (from step 2) to the Mascarpone mixture, fold to incorporate. Repeat with remaining whipped cream.
6. Dip the Savoiardi biscuits one at a time in the espresso mixture and place in a rectangular serving dish (approx.11x9x2.5 inches). Repeat until there is one layer of dipped biscuits as the base. Add 1/3rd of the cream to cover biscuits, smooth with spatula. Using a small sieve lightly dust with cocoa powder.
7. Repeat above step 2 more times. There will be 3 layers of espresso dipped Savoiardi biscuits topped with cream and garnished with a dusting of cocoa powder.
8. Place in fridge for 1 hour to set before serving.