Demetra Premium Cavatelli Pasta Maker (Made in Italy) Take 2 on How To Make Cavatelli...
Rustic Raspberry Crostata Recipe
This Rustic Raspberry Crostata was a staple summer recipe at my Nonna Angela’s house. My Nonno John planted tons of raspberry bushes in their backyard and my Nonna would regularly ask her grand kids to go and pick bowls full during the summer months. It is a memory I hold close to my heart.
Originally my Nonna Angela named this recipe Raspberry Squares, as she always baked it in a square pan. I quickly realized however that this recipe is very similar to a traditional crostata recipe (an Italian pie with a rich crust) - minus the tedious pastry work of creating the crostata’s intricate, lattice-like topping. Instead of the lattice, I use rough, hand-shaped dough pieces to create a beautifully textured top crust that is fast and easy while still giving a stunning, rustic final presentation. Because of this, I have now coined this recipe Rustic Raspberry Crostata, very much so inspired by my Nonna Angela.
In addition to raspberries, I have also enjoyed making this recipe with other fruits such as strawberries and blackberries. For example, you can use 1 cup raspberries and 1 cup strawberries and follow the same procedure for baking as in the recipe. You can even try using blueberries, blackberries or peaches - or any combination you like! Whether you experiment with the filling, or stick to the tried and tested traditional recipe, I trust you, your friends and family will truly enjoy and savour every bite.
Rustic Raspberry Crostata
Chef Angela Consiglio
Inspired by Nonna Angela Consiglio
Ingredients for Crust:
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1lemon- zest only
- 2/3 cup Crisco, chilled and cut into cubes
- 2 eggs
- Non-stick baking spray
Ingredients for Raspberry Filling:
- 2 cups raspberries – washed and drained
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsps. corn starch
- Preheat oven to 350ᵒ F. Spray 9 inch round baking pan or 9x9 inch square baking pan with non-stick spray.
- In a medium pot place raspberries, 1 cup of sugar and corn starch, stir to combine. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Stir often for about 3 to 4 minutes or until consistency is jam like and thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Once done, set aside.
- In a large bowl place all the ingredients for the crust. Begin working ingredients together with a pastry cutter. Once the Crisco breaks down into small pea-sized pieces, use the best tools in the kitchen - your hands! Continue working the dough until it holds together and can be formed into a rough ball.
- Next, take 2/3rds of the dough and spread onto the base and sides of the baking pan. Pour the raspberry filling in evenly.
- Finally, with the remaining dough take small pieces and lightly flatten it between your fingers. Then place flattened dough over raspberry filling leaving some of the fruit exposed.
- Place in the middle of the oven and bake for approximately 30 minutes or until evenly golden brown in colour. Serve at room temperature.
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel for product demos, reviews, recipes and more!