Lemon Cream Scones Recipe
Have you ever considered baking in your Lodge cast iron cookware? In my kitchen I have one cast iron skillet that is strictly for baking, and it is great for this simple Lemon Cream Scones Recipe. A perfect Sunday morning treat, these scones are rich yet tender, and are best best enjoyed with butter, clotted cream or jam.
This recipe calls for Kefir which is made from cow’s milk that has been fermented and carries healthy probiotic bacteria. Kefir has a thick consistency similar to yogurt or buttermilk and allows for a tender fluffy end product. It can be a substitute for milk, buttermilk or water and is quite versatile in baking.
Once scones are baked let them cool slightly, break one open, spread with some of your favourite jam and enjoy with a cup of tea or coffee.
I hope this inspires you to get baking with your cast iron ware!
Lemon Cream Scones
Chef Angela Consiglio
1) Preheat oven to 395° F.
2) Butter and flour a 14 inch cast iron skillet or line a baking tray with parchment paper.
3) In a medium bowl whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, lemon zest and sugar to combine.
4) In a separate bowl whisk cream, kefir and eggs to combine. Set aside.
5) Add the cubed cold butter to the dry ingredients. Using a pastry cutter or 2 knives combine until
the mixture is crumbly and butter pieces are still visible.
6) Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Stir with a wooden spoon until dough begins to come
together. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface (dough will feel slightly sticky).
7) Gently round up dough. Next, flour a rolling pin and pin out dough to about 1 ¼ inch thickness.
8) Flour a 2 inch cookie cutter. Cut scones and place on greased skillet or lined baking tray.
9) Brush scones with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
10) Bake for 15-18 minutes or until scones are golden.
These scones are subtly infused with lemon and are meant to be enjoyed with your favourite jam!
Scones can be enjoyed the day after they are baked by simply warming them in a 300°F oven for 3-5 minutes.
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel for product demos, reviews, recipes and more!