Espresso, Nutella, And Hazelnut Biscotti Recipe from Nonna's Way
This week at Consiglio’s we’re bringing you a brand new recipe from our good friends at the Nonna’s Way food blog - one of our favourite sources for Italian recipes, made the way that Nonna used to!
Enjoy the recipe, and be sure to check out their cookbook, Nonna’s Way: a Collection of Italian Cookie Recipes. A stunning compilation of over 50 Italian cookie recipes, this book from Nonna’s Way is a trove of baking recipes and inspiration - just in time for the upcoming holiday season!
Espresso, Nutella, And Hazelnut Biscotti
From: Nonna's Way
Most of Nonna’s Way is about old-school Italian home cooking and recipes. We are going new-school on you with this adaptation of the torroncini recipe from our book. We’ve tested a couple batches and passed them around. The unanimous vote is out and these are ‘divine’, ‘delectable’, and even left a couple people speechless! So as much as we are two modest women who don’t normally toot our own horn – you have to try these!! Biscotti with espresso, nutella, and hazelnuts dipped in melted white chocolate and finished off with a sprinkle of crushed espresso beans, which by the way bring this biscotti from good to great!
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) baking powder
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (60ml) icing sugar
- 1 tsp (5ml) instant espresso coffee powder
- 1 tsp (5ml) coffee liqueur
- 1/2 cup (125ml) Nutella, chocolate hazelnut spread
- 2 cups (500 mL, 300 g) roasted hazelnuts, skins removed
- icing sugar to sprinkle on work surface
- white chocolate wafers for melting, 340 g, (we used Candy Melts by Wilton)
- whole espresso beans, chopped, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.
- With an electric mixer, beat the eggs and granulated sugar together for about 20 minutes.
- Combine the baking powder and flour then add to the egg mixture a little at a time while continuing to mix.
- Add the 1/4 cup icing sugar, coffee powder, and coffee liqueur and mix to combine.
- Next add in the chocolate hazelnut spread and mix until combined.
- Finally, add the hazelnuts and mix with a wooden spoon to disperse evenly in the dough.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal portions.
- Sprinkle some icing sugar onto a work surface.
- Roll and flatten each dough portion into a log about 1 inch high and 2 inches wide.
- Place onto the baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool just slightly.
- Place onto a cutting board and use a serrated knife to cut the log on a diagonal making ¾ inch wide slices.
- Place them back on the baking sheet and return to the oven for 10 minutes or until they just start to get colour on the cut sides.
- Remove from the oven, and let cool on a rack.
- Melt white chocolate wafers according to package directions.
- Dip one half of each cookie into the chocolate, place on a rack and sprinkle some of the chopped espresso beans on top.
- Let the chocolate set completely.
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel for product demos, reviews, recipes and more!